I have just completed my SC-100 cybersecurity architect beta exam. Here are my takeaways:
- This is an expert-level exam
- Had 48 questions with 2 case studies
- Lots of Microsoft Defender for Cloud questions
- It was more of a mix between SC-200 and SC-300 with a little AZ-500 sprinkled in for MS Sentinel
- There were some surprises
- Having AZ-700 under my belt helped with Front Door questions
- You truly have to know your stuff since there aren’t any official SC-100 learning paths or exams
- I felt that I did better on SC-100 than AZ-305
It is an expert-level exam
It is more supervisory and administrative in nature. You must know the right solution not just assembling the right service. You must think about the entire picture.
Had 48 questions with 2 case studies
This SC-100 has less questions than some of beta exams so I was pleased; but, that also meant that you’d better answer these questions correctly.
Lots of Microsoft Defender for Cloud questions
There was a lot of Microsoft Defender for Cloud and its respective Defender plans. Here is a resource I recommend that you check out if you decide to sit for this SC-100.
It was more of a mix between SC-200 and SC-300
Yes, there are 4 prerequisite exams (SC-200, SC-300, AZ-500 and MS-500). However, with this beta exam I would focus more on SC-200 and SC-300. There is some AZ-500 sprinkled in for MS Sentinel but SC-200 also covers that.
There were some surprises
I got a question referencing Microsoft Priva, the privacy security solution. I also got a question on Azure Purview. I knew for a fact that Priva was nowhere on the skills measured document. I had a Privacy Manager interview where I had to read up on it.
Having AZ-700 under my belt helped with Front Door questions
There are some Azure Front Door, Application Gateway, Traffic Manager and Web Application Firewall questions on SC-100. AZ-700 covers all of these.
Tip – Front Door, Traffic Manager and Application Gateway are 3 of the 4 load balancers. Azure load balancer being the fourth.
You truly have to know your stuff
As of this publication, there is no SC-100 learning path or official exam prep questions so you must know your stuff. I have been using Azure portal and Microsoft 365 for a while. Also I have attended several Azure Cloud Week for Partners and Security Cloud Week for Partners so I am comfortable knowing where things are. You must have this level of proficiency in order to pass this SC-100 exam.
I felt that I did better on SC-100 than AZ-305
I felt as if I could have possibly pass SC-100; and, if I did not, I knew what my weak areas would be (in this case, pass the SC-300 and retake the SC-100). With AZ-305, I had the same ‘I don’t know about this’ feeling that I had after AZ-700. Now for AZ-700 I passed but I did not with AZ-305.
Exam Prep Resources
Here are the things that I used for the SC-100
- SC-200, SC-300, AZ-500 and MS-500 Whizlabs sample exam prep questions
- SC-200, AZ-500 and AZ-700 TestPrepTraining exam prep questions
- Microsoft Learn learning paths
- Manage and security operations in Azure
- Implement virtual host security in Azure
- Introduction to Azure application delivery services (Front Door, Traffic Manager, App Gateway)
- AZ-720 Azure Support Engineer (azure site recovery, backup services, and cloud and hybrid connectivity)
- My SC-100 YouTube playlist – It is unlisted but here is the link https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLef143OHAMBZhAoY7V0Qcg1KJb–GR89j . It contain
- Azure User Group Poland SC-100 view
- Microsoft Security Channel video
- Microsoft Security Community Channel video
- John Savill video
Also many thanks to all of the fellow SC-100 beta users who summarized their accounts on Twitter and LinkedIn. These have helped me prepare so much for this exam.
Join Carla's Correspondence!
Sign up to get our latest and greatest content by email.